Titles of my children's short stories & their inspiration (click here)
Short Story Archive
1. Tinker’s Bell - - - Inspired by the rescue of a little sparrow
2. The Littlest Coyote - - -Inspired by a coyote sighting
3. The 45° Promise - - -Inspired by two raccoons.
4. The Ballad of the Dancing Bear - - -Inspired by a magazine ad for the Dancing Bear Resort in - Aspen, Colo
5. The Sleepy Cat’s Treasure Hunt - - -Inspired by my cat Oreo sleeping on a pillow close to my head
6. Mutiny on Dog Island - - -Inspired by events that occurred in “The Sleepy Cat’sTreasure Hunt
7. Moon Child - - -Inspired by the line . . . like so many broken toys.
8. Pretending to Fly - - - Inspired by a lady playing "bouncy-bouncy" with her baby in Starbucks.
9. The Holemakers - - - I forgot what inspired me to write what might be my favorite story so far. (This became a Picture Book)
10. A Happy Smell - - - A skunk that really likes people and his dilemma
11. A Doughnut or a Doll - - -This really happened to me at Starbucks, Christmas 2007.
12. Gravity Never Sleeps - - -The trouble that some Colorado kids got into during the summer of 1968.
13. One Un-Friendly Knight - - -My first attempt at flash fiction.
14. The Shipwreck of the HMS Fairy Tale This story inspired me to write my Middle Grade novel: Beyond Danger & Adventure. I wrote it in July of 2008.
15. Flying in Circles (Feathers of a Wing Fly Together) Imspired by a one winged piece of butterfly art attached to the front of my mother’s house.
16. The Story Train - - - Inspired by an Aspen Music Arts interview with David Crosby of CSN&Y.
17. The Imaginary Zoo - - - Inspired by Jackson Crawford. (3 yrs. old) who now lives in my mother's previous home.
18. Buster the Flying Moose - - - This one came out of the air. (Just like the Flying Moose)
19. The Happy-Music Machine - - - Aka: Ice Cream Melodies. I saw a broken down Ice Cream Truck on my way to writing. (Note: I only write in public places)
20. Fireball the Ferret - - - Inspired by the name of the pet ferret my buddy, Shane Harris, used to have.
21. The Sleepy Beauty’s Secret - - - Inspired by my adopted daughter, Daphne, as a bedtime story for her daughter, Aurora Rose.
22. Swing Jumper - - - Inspired by the "Second chance dog rescue program".
23. Pete the Polar Bear (Chilly Bear) - - -Inspired by a mental picture of a little polar bear.
24. Hug A Tiger - - - Inspired by a NPR report on the real threat of Tiger extinction.
25. The Lost and Found Stories - - - Original title (The Red Notebook) Inspired by a sketch of Doodle (my dog) and some text
26. The Big Silver Screen - - - Inspired by nine year old Jackson, the main character in my: Imaginary Zoo Series. (Some day to become a Chapter Book)
27. The Dogs That Forgot How To Play- - - Inspired by Jackson.
28. Floating on Air - - - Inspired by Jackson.
29. A Hop, Skip & Jump - - - Hopper and Jumper. Inspired by learning the difference between toads and frogs.
30.The Circus Parade - - - Inspired by watching a sleeping dog twitch.
31.I Like My Ears - - - Inspired by some name-calling kids in Jr. High.
32. Rescue at the Cold Creek - - - Inspired by a morning devotion during a visit to my mom in Greeley.. “He held the lamb in his arms."
33. A Child’s Universe Formerly: (Lost and Found in Wonderland) Inspired by the word Wonderland.
34. The Singing Fish - - - Inspired by the name mentioned on the radio
35. Mud Puddle Prints - - - Inspired by a mud puddle on Sunset road.
36. Warm Friends - - - Inspired by image of animals skating.
37. Abigail Dreams of Horsehair and Strings - - - Inspired by the words: "There once was a blind fiddle player who could see into the hearts of children."
38. The Day the Clowns Came to Town - - - Inspired by the first time I got lost at the Colorado State Fair at the age of nine.
39. Go Banana Go - - - Inspired by the: Go Bananas Comedy Club in Ohio
40. Tomato Tracks - - - Inspired by the coming spring and time to plant a garden
41. Gobs of Real Whipped Cream - - - Inspired by that silly old Muse of mine.
42. Bare Feet For Me - - - Inspired by the idea - Jackson explores a cave with his animal friends.
43. Pink and Blue Sidewalks - - - Inspired by the title.
44. Looking for Rudolf’s Nose - - - Inspired by a comment a friend made about Christmas.
45. The Readalouds - - - Inspired by a silly name for a family.
46. Bobbie and the Pirates . . . Inspired by a comment a woman made about her son.
47. A Wake Up Story - - - Inspired by the thought: "Why don’t we have –‘wake up stories”
48. The Hole in the Ground - - -Inspired by the huge hole in the ground, at El Jebel, CO, I never got to explore.
49. A Dog’s Best friend - - - Inspired by dog riddles.
50. My Pet Peevey (The Wonderful Fire Hydrant) Inspired by the term: pet peeve.
51. The Face on the Mailbox - - - Inspired by nature.
52. I Want a Haircut - - - Inspired by a four year old boy crying at the hair cutters, “I want a haircut." He didn’t get one.
53. Gilbert’s Wild Hair - - - Inspired by a roadside Diner.
54. Day Dreamy Vegetables - - - (Hush, and Eat Your Spinach) Inspired by a line in John Gardners book on writing fiction.
55. Happy Sad - Sad Happy Inspired by: The Friendly Book. 1954. A rhyming litany of Glad people, Sad people, Slow people, Mad people etc.
56. A Nose for Food - - - Inspired by sitting in the meadow at Big Trees CA. State Park.
57. The Wonder Ship - - - Inspired by an advertisement for the new: Disney cruise ship.
58. The Cereal Box Kids - - - Inspired by the words, The Cracker Box Kids.
59. Danger Mouse Meets Shadow Cat - - - Inspired by the words, Danger Mouse. Possible series.
60. The Big Hurry - - - Inspired by the title.
61. Super Speedy Chasers - - - Inspired by Larry, my first college room-mate.
62. A Home made Library - - - Inspired by the phrase: The lost books that live under the bed.
63. Just As Nice As a Dragon - - - Inspired by a magazine article: The unknown land was called: The Land of the Dragons.
64. Welcome to the Food Zoo - - - Inspired by the term Food Zoo.
65. The Tickle Treasure Map - - - Inspired by “Story Jr.”, a different story title yet to be written.
66. Playing Catch Up - - - Inspired by the words: Floating Utensils (This is a rebus)
67. The Monkey on the Moon - - - Inspired by wanting a telescope for Christmas when I was a kid. (Never got one)
68. The Rescue Raccoon - - - Inspired by a giraffe’s head stuck in a tree
69. Chunky Monkey - - - Inspired by a smile and a frown living together in a box.
70. The Alphabet Race - - - Inspired by the words: The Alphabet Party.
71. Little Muddy Creek - - - Inspired by the name of a real creek in Oregon.
72. Animal Games - - -Inspired by The Enchanted Forest - theme park in Oregon.
73. High Flying Friend - - - Inspired by boy scout camp - compass training.
74. The Sticky Icky Slide - - - Inspired by a trip to the park with Jo Jo on 6-20-2011
75. Jump Off Joe - - - Inspired by another name of a real creek in Oregon
76. A Happy Place - - - Inspired by happy thoughts.
77. Fat Dog and Short Cake - - - Inspired by a cartoon of a Fat Dog with a cat on his back.
78. Buggy Wars - - - Inspired by lady with a side-by-side baby buggy tring to get it through the door at Starbucks
79. I Can’t Stand It - - - Inspired by my daughter Sarah's - Ark story idea
80. Poof Goes The Smoke - - -(The Terrible Ninja) Inspired by the phrase: "Terrible it is - what passes for a ninja these days.“
81. The Finish Line - - - Inspired by a true story of the Special Olympics
82. The Tiny Giant - - -Inspired by the real David and Goliath.
83. Slow Joey vs Speedy Jake - - - Inspired by (who knows what)
84. Louie and the Sea monster - - - Inspired by a woman at Panera bread who told me her son loved star fish. I wrote this for her son.
85. Playing Ketchup - - - Inspired by watching the world with wonder.
86. Bottle of Tears - - - Inspired by Cheryl ‘s bible lesson.
87. Giant Lies - - - Inspired by: All the white lies I told as a child.
88. You Know What - - - Inspired by a grandma reading a story to a little boy
89. Tall Teeth - - - Not at all inspired by a trip to the dentist.
90. You Should Never - - - Hey! - You have to read this one to find out.
91. The Alphabet Solution - - - Inspired by those wonderful 26 letters. (They know who they are)
92. Mister Trouble - - - Inspired by Regis Philbin's nickname for his grandson.
93. The Blue House with White Shutters - - - Inspired by a blue house with white shutters. (just kidding)
94. Stinky Feet - - - Inspired by all the animals who prefer to wear shoes.
95. Wobbly Wobbly Wheels - - - Inspired by a similar 3-word title in: Highlights For Kids magazine. (Nope. It didnt get published)
96. The Great Alphabet Race - - - Take another bow, you wild and crazy - 26 letters of the alphabet.
. . . I stopped writing short stories and started writing my 1st novel on: Feb. 1st, 2012.